HOW TO CONNECT TO APPLE CARPLAY
Difficulty Level: Novice | Time Required: 5 Minutes | Tools Required: None | Related Parts, Products, Services or Technology: Apple iPhone required
If your vehicle has Apple CarPlay®,† you can get directions, make calls, send and receive messages via Siri®, and enjoy your favorite music — all on your vehicle’s built-in infotainment display.†
CONNECT THROUGH LIGHTNING® CABLE
- Using your iPhone’s Lightning cable, USB-A or USB-C, depending on your model, connect your phone to the vehicle’s USB data port.†
- Unlock your phone.
- Consent pop-up will be shown to enable or disable Apple CarPlay.
- If Apple CarPlay does not automatically launch, touch the Apple CarPlay icon on your infotainment screen.
- When Apple CarPlay is active, the screen will show the iPhone apps that are accessible.
Only select vehicles and select iPhones offer this option. If your vehicle and phone do offer this option, work through these steps to enable a wireless connection with Apple CarPlay:
- Pair/connect your phone to the infotainment system using Bluetooth®.†
On some vehicles, after you start Apple CarPlay using a Lightning connection, you're asked if you want to enable wireless Apple CarPlay for future use. If you agree, the next time you go for a drive, your phone will automatically connect wirelessly with Apple CarPlay.
TO EXIT APPLE CARPLAY
- To exit Apple CarPlay, press the Home button.
- To return to Apple CarPlay, press and hold the HOME button OR touch the APPLE CARPLAY icon.
You can tell if your vehicle is compatible with Apple CarPlay if you see the APPLE CARPLAY or PROJECTION icon on your infotainment touchscreen. You can also check the Apple CarPlay availability page to see if your vehicle is compatible with Apple CarPlay.
Apple CarPlay works on iPhone 5 or later. For information about phone compatibility, visit the Apple CarPlay site.
Yes, it will. However, you must be certain that the app developer has updated their app to work with Apple CarPlay, and you must install the most current version of those apps onto your compatible iPhone in order for those apps to work with Apple CarPlay. Your iPhone must also be updated to iOS 12 or later.
If your iPhone is locked for more than an hour, you must unlock it to use Apple CarPlay. Next, be sure your Lightning cable is plugged in properly.
The quality of the album art depends on the size of the image that is available with the song. If the image is small, it appears blurry when stretched to fit the album art window in the now-playing screen.
LOOKING FOR SOMETHING ELSE?
NEED MORE HELP?
Communicate with one of our specialists.